Our website uses cookies to enhance the visitor experience (what's a cookieCookies are small text files that are stored on your computer when you visit a website. They are mainly used as a way of improving the website functionalities or to provide more advanced statistical data.). Are you happy for us to use cookies during your visits?
Please note: continuing without making a choice equates to giving us your consent, which you can withdraw at any time via our cookies policy page.

How to Declare Foreign Income

Newsletter issue - October 07.

When you live in the UK you must declare all of your taxable income on your tax return form, including any foreign income; such as rents from overseas properties, interest from off-shore bank accounts or dividends from foreign companies. Some people believe that foreign income does not have to be shown on a UK tax return, because the basic tax return form and the short version tax return form do not have boxes for foreign income, but it does.

If you receive any sort of foreign income you need to answer question 6 on page 2 of the tax return and complete the foreign income pages, which have a pale green tab top. These extra pages can be ordered from HMRC. If you normally complete your own tax return online, reporting foreign income can cause a problem, as the tax return software provided free by the Taxman does not currently support the foreign income pages. In this case you need to use some third party software to complete the foreign income pages or complete your whole tax return on paper instead of online or just let us do it all for you.

There is an alternative if your foreign income consists of less than £300 of dividends from an overseas company such as Bank Santander (who own Abbey National Bank). In this case you can enter the foreign dividends in box 5.5 on short form tax return form, or on page 3 of your tax return form, even on the online version. There will be no difference in the tax you pay as a basic rate taxpayer, but as a higher rate taxpayer you will not get the full benefit of the overseas tax deducted from the dividends.

If you receive other types of foreign income, you must complete the foreign income pages to report the gross amounts and any expenses to set against the income, even if the money has not been paid into a UK bank account. If you have the special 'non-domicile' status (see below) you are not taxed on foreign income that is kept outside of the UK, but you must still make a special claim for this treatment to apply on your tax return each year.

If you feel you have incorrectly declared foreign income in the past and so potentially liable to tax, interest and penalties please speak to us about the best way to deal with this.

  • Auto enrolment icon

    Auto Enrolment

    Workplace pensions rules are changing.
    Be prepared for auto enrolment, see how we
    can help and read up on our guidance notes.


  • Cloud accounting icon

    Cloud Accounting

    With our online bookkeeping packages, our support
    services are only a click away.
    Discover cloud accountancy solutions to bring your finances up to date.

  • Pay less tax icon

    Pay Less Tax

    Our experienced tax advisors can help you
    make the most of your options to reduce
    your tax bills.


  • Make more profit icon

    Make More Profit

    From business plans to management accounts,
    our business services will ensure you are in
    control of your business finances.


  • Source finance icon

    Source Finance

    Our experienced partners can guide you
    in getting the finance you need to make
    your business grow. Read our guides or
    contact us for a free consultation.

  • Outsource your payroll icon

    Outsource Your Payroll

    Let us handle payroll compliance for your
    business. We can deal with HMRC on your
    behalf, and take the stress out of RTI.