Our website uses cookies to enhance the visitor experience (what's a cookieCookies are small text files that are stored on your computer when you visit a website. They are mainly used as a way of improving the website functionalities or to provide more advanced statistical data.). Are you happy for us to use cookies during your visits?
Please note: continuing without making a choice equates to giving us your consent, which you can withdraw at any time via our cookies policy page.

How to Gift a Property

Newsletter issue - September 08.

Let's say you are feeling generous, and want to share your wealth with your children. A gift on the occasion of a forthcoming birthday would seem like an ideal time to do so. However, gifts of assets are not generally free of Capital gains Tax (CGT) if their market value exceeds the value of the cost to the donor (you).

For example, if David gifts a property to his daughter in 2008/9 worth £150,000 (which was bought for £90,000) he would technically make a gain of £60,000, even though no money has changed hands. The CGT bill payable by him on this deemed disposal would be £9,072 (£60,000 - annual CGT exemption of £9,600 = £50,400 x 18%). This would need to go on your tax return for 2008/9 and the tax settled by 31 January 2010.

So what if anything can you do about this? If you are married, you could transfer a half share of the property to your spouse/civil partner first. Transfers between spouses are CGG free. Both of you could then gift your shares in the property to utilise two annual exemptions. Care should be taken that the transfers are not too close together to avoid the risk of HMRC seeking to ignore the transfer to the spouse and taxing the entire gain on you.

Gifts can be spread over two or more tax years so that more than one annual exemption is used. For example, if you transferred half a share to your spouse and you each gifted a quarter share away for four years, then more of the gain each year could be covered by the annual exemption. To summarise you can make a tax free transfer of property to spouse/civil partner but not to children and other relatives.

  • Auto enrolment icon

    Auto Enrolment

    Workplace pensions rules are changing.
    Be prepared for auto enrolment, see how we
    can help and read up on our guidance notes.


  • Cloud accounting icon

    Cloud Accounting

    With our online bookkeeping packages, our support
    services are only a click away.
    Discover cloud accountancy solutions to bring your finances up to date.

  • Pay less tax icon

    Pay Less Tax

    Our experienced tax advisors can help you
    make the most of your options to reduce
    your tax bills.


  • Make more profit icon

    Make More Profit

    From business plans to management accounts,
    our business services will ensure you are in
    control of your business finances.


  • Source finance icon

    Source Finance

    Our experienced partners can guide you
    in getting the finance you need to make
    your business grow. Read our guides or
    contact us for a free consultation.

  • Outsource your payroll icon

    Outsource Your Payroll

    Let us handle payroll compliance for your
    business. We can deal with HMRC on your
    behalf, and take the stress out of RTI.