Our website uses cookies to enhance the visitor experience (what's a cookieCookies are small text files that are stored on your computer when you visit a website. They are mainly used as a way of improving the website functionalities or to provide more advanced statistical data.). Are you happy for us to use cookies during your visits?
Please note: continuing without making a choice equates to giving us your consent, which you can withdraw at any time via our cookies policy page.

Telling the Authorities About Your Company Changes

Newsletter issue - October 08.

When you make changes to your company, such as its name, address, or contact details you need to tell Companies House and sometimes also HMRC. If you don't do this promptly vital forms may go missing and you could be fined for not completing those forms on time. You may have to inform HMRC multiple times as the departments that deal with the various different taxes do not share basic information very well.

For example...

  • Company name change. If you want to change the name of your company you need to contact Companies House first. To change the company's name the director or company secretary needs to sign a written resolution, and send it to Companies House with a £10 fee.
  • Registered office. A change of registered office can be done online using the Companies House web filing service, or by completing a paper version of form 287. Once Companies House has processed the change in name or registered office they will tell HMRC who will update their records within 14 days.
  • Resignations. When a director or company secretary resigns their post, you need to tell Companies House as soon as possible. This can also be done online through the Companies House web filing service or by completing paper form 288b. If the director or company secretary needs to be removed from your company's payroll, you need to tell the PAYE department of HMRC. If you are registered to use the PAYE online filing service you can alter these details online.
  • Other contact details. If you have altered other details about your company, such as the contact address (not the registered office) telephone or fax numbers, you can amend these details with HMRC using the online corporation tax service. If these contact details are also used for VAT and PAYE you need to tell those departments separately.

If you let us know what changes have occurred we can take care of matters for you.

  • Auto enrolment icon

    Auto Enrolment

    Workplace pensions rules are changing.
    Be prepared for auto enrolment, see how we
    can help and read up on our guidance notes.


  • Cloud accounting icon

    Cloud Accounting

    With our online bookkeeping packages, our support
    services are only a click away.
    Discover cloud accountancy solutions to bring your finances up to date.

  • Pay less tax icon

    Pay Less Tax

    Our experienced tax advisors can help you
    make the most of your options to reduce
    your tax bills.


  • Make more profit icon

    Make More Profit

    From business plans to management accounts,
    our business services will ensure you are in
    control of your business finances.


  • Source finance icon

    Source Finance

    Our experienced partners can guide you
    in getting the finance you need to make
    your business grow. Read our guides or
    contact us for a free consultation.

  • Outsource your payroll icon

    Outsource Your Payroll

    Let us handle payroll compliance for your
    business. We can deal with HMRC on your
    behalf, and take the stress out of RTI.