Our website uses cookies to enhance the visitor experience (what's a cookieCookies are small text files that are stored on your computer when you visit a website. They are mainly used as a way of improving the website functionalities or to provide more advanced statistical data.). Are you happy for us to use cookies during your visits?
Please note: continuing without making a choice equates to giving us your consent, which you can withdraw at any time via our cookies policy page.

Filing Online Difficulties

Newsletter issue - May 2012.

Most tax and VAT returns now have to be submitted electronically, so if the return is late, even by a minute, the computer spits out a fine. This also applies to filing accounts and annual returns for companies or LLPs at Companies House.

Filing a tax return or submitting accounts online can be quicker, as there is no delay caused by sending a paper document in the post. You may also be given a longer period to file online, - an extra 7 days for VAT returns and an extra 3 months for personal tax returns. However, you do need software to file online, and this may not be freely available or the free version may not work for your particular circumstances.


For example, partnerships must submit a partnership tax return in addition to the personal tax returns for each partner. The partners' tax returns can be submitted online using the HMRC free software, but the partnership tax return cannot.

If you are a member of a partnership (or LLP) you must either submit the partnership return in paper form by 31 October, or acquire some commercial software to use to submit the return online, or ask us to help you submit the return.

Companies House Accounts

Private company accounts must be submitted to Companies House within 9 months of the company's year end. Say the company's year runs to 30 September 2011, the accounts must reach Companies House by midnight on 30 June 2012, even though this is a Saturday.

Companies House provides free software to submit company accounts online through its website, but this does not always work. If you leave filing your accounts to the last day, and the software, or your internet connection fails, you will get a fine of £150. You can ask us to file your company accounts and annual return on your behalf.


All VAT returns for periods starting on or after 1 April 2012 must be filed online, and any VAT due must be paid electronically, not by a cheque. Are you ready for this change? Talk to us if you want some help with filing VAT or other tax returns online.

  • Auto enrolment icon

    Auto Enrolment

    Workplace pensions rules are changing.
    Be prepared for auto enrolment, see how we
    can help and read up on our guidance notes.


  • Cloud accounting icon

    Cloud Accounting

    With our online bookkeeping packages, our support
    services are only a click away.
    Discover cloud accountancy solutions to bring your finances up to date.

  • Pay less tax icon

    Pay Less Tax

    Our experienced tax advisors can help you
    make the most of your options to reduce
    your tax bills.


  • Make more profit icon

    Make More Profit

    From business plans to management accounts,
    our business services will ensure you are in
    control of your business finances.


  • Source finance icon

    Source Finance

    Our experienced partners can guide you
    in getting the finance you need to make
    your business grow. Read our guides or
    contact us for a free consultation.

  • Outsource your payroll icon

    Outsource Your Payroll

    Let us handle payroll compliance for your
    business. We can deal with HMRC on your
    behalf, and take the stress out of RTI.