Our website uses cookies to enhance the visitor experience (what's a cookieCookies are small text files that are stored on your computer when you visit a website. They are mainly used as a way of improving the website functionalities or to provide more advanced statistical data.). Are you happy for us to use cookies during your visits?
Please note: continuing without making a choice equates to giving us your consent, which you can withdraw at any time via our cookies policy page.

December Questions and Answers Section

Newsletter issue - December 2014

Q. HMRC has reminded me to claim the employment allowance for 2014/15 worth £2000. My company doesn't pay any employers' NI on my very low salary, so I thought I couldn't claim the employment allowance. But the Government website referred to in the HMRC letter says I can get a refund of my VAT, PAYE or corporation tax as I haven't used the full employment allowance for the year. How do I get my hands on this money?

A. Unfortunately the GOV.UK website is wrong. The employment allowance can only be set against employer's class 1 national insurance contributions due in respect of wages or salary paid. It cannot be set against any other tax such as VAT, corporation tax or PAYE. The unused portion of any allowance cannot be carried forward to the next tax year.

As your company has not paid any employer's NI for this tax year, due to your low salary, it has nothing to set against the employment allowance. You can claim the employment allowance by submitting an Employer Payment summary (EPS) to HMRC under RTI and ticking the employer allowance box on that EPS, but it will have no effect until the company is due to pay employer's class 1 NI.

Q. I started my new business this summer and raised my first invoice on 1 August, with no VAT added. I realised I would need to register for VAT very soon, so I applied online. The VAT registration confirmation said my business is VAT registered from 4 August 2014. Do I need to do anything about invoice number 1?

A. As your VAT registration date fell after the date of your first invoice you don't have to do anything about that invoice. It has been issued correctly without VAT added. When you do your first VAT return be careful not to include that invoice. However, you can claim for VAT you incurred on services used by the business in the six months before VAT registration date.

Q. My company is closing down. All the bills are paid and I want to close the PAYE scheme. How do I do that under the RTI system?

A. You can simply close the PAYE scheme by submitting an Employer Payment Summary (EPS) or full payment submission (FPS) indicating that it is the 'final' for the year and tick the box to say the PAYE scheme has ceased. You complete the end of year questions on the EPS as if you were at the end of the tax year, and that's it - job done!

  • Auto enrolment icon

    Auto Enrolment

    Workplace pensions rules are changing.
    Be prepared for auto enrolment, see how we
    can help and read up on our guidance notes.


  • Cloud accounting icon

    Cloud Accounting

    With our online bookkeeping packages, our support
    services are only a click away.
    Discover cloud accountancy solutions to bring your finances up to date.

  • Pay less tax icon

    Pay Less Tax

    Our experienced tax advisors can help you
    make the most of your options to reduce
    your tax bills.


  • Make more profit icon

    Make More Profit

    From business plans to management accounts,
    our business services will ensure you are in
    control of your business finances.


  • Source finance icon

    Source Finance

    Our experienced partners can guide you
    in getting the finance you need to make
    your business grow. Read our guides or
    contact us for a free consultation.

  • Outsource your payroll icon

    Outsource Your Payroll

    Let us handle payroll compliance for your
    business. We can deal with HMRC on your
    behalf, and take the stress out of RTI.