Our website uses cookies to enhance the visitor experience (what's a cookieCookies are small text files that are stored on your computer when you visit a website. They are mainly used as a way of improving the website functionalities or to provide more advanced statistical data.). Are you happy for us to use cookies during your visits?
Please note: continuing without making a choice equates to giving us your consent, which you can withdraw at any time via our cookies policy page.

May Question and Answer Corner

Newsletter issue - May 07.

Q. Can I treat my buy-to-let property as my main home so it is exempt from capital gains tax?

A. You can only treat your buy-to-let property as your main home for capital gains tax purposes if you actually live in it for a period, so the property cannot be let out at the same time. This period can be quite short, such as a few months, but you do need to have some evidence that you lived there to show the Taxman if he should ask, such as utility bills or correspondence. If you also have another home which you plan to return to you need to make an election to state which property is your main residence.

Q. I have received a leaflet from the VATman that says the flat rate VAT scheme would save me a lot of time and hassle, is this true?

A. Under the flat rate VAT scheme you simply multiply your gross sales (including VAT) by a percentage ranging from 2% to 13.5%, depending on your trade sector, to calculate the VAT you owe the VATman. This may be quicker than adding up all the VAT paid on your purchases, and deducting that figure from the VAT charged on your sales, but it could cost you money. If you are in a sector with a high flat rate percentage, or you have a high ratio of purchases to sales, you may end up paying more VAT to the VATman under the flat rate scheme. However, in other cases you can pay less VAT. Ask us to help you with the calculations.

Q. My mate is starting a new business and wants me to invest. Should I lend him the cash or buy shares in his new company?

A. If the business fails you are more likely to get your money back from a loan than as shares, especially if the loan is secured on the assets of the business. If your loan is not repaid you can claim a capital loss, which can be used against you other capital gains, if you have any. If you subscribe for shares and the company fails you can claim the amount paid for shares as an income tax loss, which is usually better for tax purposes. If the business is very successful you won't make a profit from the loan if the business is later sold for a huge amount, or becomes listed on the stock exchange. To realise those gains you need to hold shares in the company.

  • Auto enrolment icon

    Auto Enrolment

    Workplace pensions rules are changing.
    Be prepared for auto enrolment, see how we
    can help and read up on our guidance notes.


  • Cloud accounting icon

    Cloud Accounting

    With our online bookkeeping packages, our support
    services are only a click away.
    Discover cloud accountancy solutions to bring your finances up to date.

  • Pay less tax icon

    Pay Less Tax

    Our experienced tax advisors can help you
    make the most of your options to reduce
    your tax bills.


  • Make more profit icon

    Make More Profit

    From business plans to management accounts,
    our business services will ensure you are in
    control of your business finances.


  • Source finance icon

    Source Finance

    Our experienced partners can guide you
    in getting the finance you need to make
    your business grow. Read our guides or
    contact us for a free consultation.

  • Outsource your payroll icon

    Outsource Your Payroll

    Let us handle payroll compliance for your
    business. We can deal with HMRC on your
    behalf, and take the stress out of RTI.